Not to thread the X server [was: to thread the X server]

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 19 11:49:26 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:12:15AM +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> I think that Xserver should be highly multithreaded, mainly CPU consuming
> parts should be done in parallel. I would like to see a thread pool that will
> process requests in parallel. Also the driver of video card should be
> reentrant and able to run in threads. If you realize that a graphic hw
> consists of multiple rendering units, the drawing software should also
> consists of threads.

One of the old XJournals had a long technical article on this, and ISTR
the conclusion was that the results didn't merit the investment, unless
you were trying to build an air traffic control console for Forward Air
Controllers in combat zones -- which, as I recall, was what they were
trying to do.

Let me see if I can find it; ORA has those online now, I think...

... nope.  Can't google it up.  Tactical Realtime Extensions to X;
trex, was the project's name.  I have dead trees at home; I'll dig it
up and get you a cite.

Cheers,
-- jr 'those who do not remember Usenet are condemned to repeat it' a

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)