to thread the X server (?)

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Wed Jun 18 14:01:15 PDT 2008

Hi,

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade escreveu:
> s/fair/smart/. By enqued I mean there is no update of cursor position
> from the signal handler, to give the impression of a smooth cursor, even
> if the server is under heavy load.

Ohh, I think you're talking about silken cursor. I don't know if the
concept of 'silken' also belongs to thread (instead SIGIO). But yes, if
the cursor is rendered in hw, the input thread updates it (well, the
driver/videocard updates) before enqueue and we've got a nice smooth
cursor even if the server is drawing a lot of things, for instance.

And no. The Smart Scheduler is nothing related with this particular
scheme of device handling. The Smart Scheduler deals with clients.

(anyway, if I want to speed up the server by inserting some threads, I
must understand the right paths of the scheduler and probably will deal
with this all.  But not at this moment. "Premature optimization is the
root of all evil")

>  Let me see if I undestood... One thread (p)select on the descriptors,
> and wake another using a pipe?

exactly. See yourself:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/xserver/tree/os/thread.c?h=input-thread

Thank you,

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre