Fonts disappearing, artifacts and segfaults

Michael v.Vierssen machuidel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 02:08:03 PDT 2008

Hi,
I'm having problems with the following components:
 * GTK / Pango / Cairo
   - Fonts disappearing (partly or fully replaced by box symbols),
      segfaults, partly drawed widgets etc.
 * 3d applications / games
   - Hickups, segfaults etc.

The problems start to occur a while after using the X server. They do
not occur consistently. Usually when doing some user activity like
starting applications, editting fields or pressing buttons.
Only Firefox, AMSN and intensive 3D applications crash almost instantly
with segfaults and/or assertions.
Programs like glxgears and xterm seem to work fine.

I have the following configuration:
Software: Ubuntu 8.04 with all latest updates applied
Motherboard: ECS M825G, Chipset: VIA VT8378 [KM400/A]
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 512mb DDR
Soundcard: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
Videocard: Nvidia GeForce 6200 (NV44A) with 256mb DDR at AGP 4x

I tried the following without any luck:
 * Disabling the onboard videocard.
 * Disabling the onboard soundcard.
 * Increasing the AGP aperture.
 * Reinstalling fontconfig and letting it regenerate all the caches.
 * Regenerating the fontconfig configuration using debconf.
 * Reinstalling Pango and Cairo from the Ubuntu repositories.
 * Removing PCI soundcard and AGP videocard only using the onboard hardware.
 * Trying another AGP videocard.
 * Trying different xorg settings.
 * Trying different RAM modules.
 * Disabling compiz / glx / aiglx.

Also with the Ubuntu Hardy LiveCD this problem occurs. Windows XP seems to
work fine (but I do not prefer using that).

The most weird thing is that these problems still occur when using
different memory modules and/or videocards. Even the onboard one.

By reading the logs I also noticed Ubuntu Hardy is using an unstable
version of Xorg. I'm pretty dissappointed in their decision of this and
I hope you still want to help me.

Please see the following links:
http://companywise.nl/artifacts_and_segfaults/xorg.conf
http://companywise.nl/artifacts_and_segfaults/Xorg.0.log