Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Paul Vojta vojta at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jun 16 12:14:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:52:17PM +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 12 Juni 2008 schrieb Daniel Stone:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 06:35:08PM -0300, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade
> wrote:
> > >  I believe avivo is also already dead?
> >
> > Its main purpose now is to serve as a good example of a clean and
> > capable driver for those planning to write new drivers.  A living API
> > reference (well, if you have certain families of r5xx), if you will.
> >
> > >  If evdev cannot do the job of synaptics, then synaptics is also
> > > something that should be looked carefully.
> >
> > Both avivo and synaptics are currently GPL (I don't see the synaptics
> > mess being sorted out in time for 7.4), and so will not be considered.
>
> Synaptics has been relicensed (see synaptics thread from about 2 weeks ago).

Quoting from that thread:

"It seems the last thing that happened was the relicensing, though a relicensed
version was never published."

This hardly sounds definitive.  The last thing I find about the relicensing
is this message:

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-July/026539.html

in which the poster quotes someone saying that they will not allow their
patches to be relicensed.

--Paul Vojta, vojta at math.berkeley.edu