Wiki like documentation Was: Re: Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Fri Jun 13 09:44:50 PDT 2008

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>> - An up to date X architecture document that can be maintained on an
>>> ongoing basis
>> Amazingly, ddx.ps.gz in the existing docs package is a really good start
>> at this.  No one seems to read it.  Why not?
>
> Is it available in HTML and linked from noticable place?
>
> I think xorg-docs/hardcopy/Xserver/ddx.PS.gz needs to be regenerated and
> committed/pushed.

Eamon Walsh recently converted the sources to DocBook so that HTML
& PDF can be easily built as well.   I understand having both sources
and .PS.gz files in three when the tools needed were not freely available,
like the FrameMaker docs, but I wonder if that's still needed for the
DocBook forms.   (We could generate various formats at tarball generation
time, but I think then we'd want the pure source tarball, and tarballs
of generated HTML, PDF, Postscript, so that people who wanted pre-formatted
docs could just grab the right format.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com