Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

pcpa at mandriva.com.br pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Jun 12 19:12:57 PDT 2008

Quoting Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Jesse Barnes
> <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:32 am Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>>
>>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Development/git
>>>
>>> That page seems to contain the most accurate and update instructions
>>> for building, at least when using the master versions of everything.
>>> It would be nice if these instructions were more prominent.
>>
>> There's one notable piece missing at this point:  gallium build
>> instructions.
>> Since you probably know how to build gallium in your sleep, maybe you could
>> fill in that section, Dan?
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't touched gallium once, only master. Probably
> the best person there is José Fonseca. José had created an scons
> build, but otherwise I think they're using the static configs/linux*
> targets for gallium. Don't know for sure, though.

  Others should give a better response, but I can tell gallium-0.1-dri2
as of todays code, doesn't build with libdrm-2_3 branch due to some
i915 defines, that I believe are only in drm's drm-gem branch.
  But the gallium-0.1-dri2, for "packagers", pretty much is the same
build process of mesa 7.0.x.

  I did not test much of different kernel modules earlier, but as of this
week at least, I had no luck with building drm master, then mesa master,
with --enable-ttm-api --enable-glx-tls, etc.  I am assuming there is no
binary incompatibility if I use either libdrm-2.3 or libdrm master/drm-gem
headers to build the X Server. And building xf86-video-intel either master
or drm-gem branch after the proper libdrm and mesa (to get proper headers).
  I noticed I need to reset to switch drm/i915 kernel modules on a test
computer with a i965 card, but it will not load drm-gem kernel modules
due to unresolved symbols, and drm master doesn't display any text and
crashes a few seconds later.  Using stock kernel modules it seems pretty
stable/fast with either version of libdrm.
  So I believe one thing that mostly interest kde4 et all fans is dri2,
think composite effects on pure opengl windows...

Sorry for the long, possibly hard to understand, post.

BTW I think nouveau, open source, 3d enabled nvidia cards support, should
be available in 7.4, due to large amount of users with these cards...

Paulo