Combining Mesa3D and DRI mailing lists and/or sites? (was: Re: Wrapping up 7.4 (finally))

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 09:28:39 PDT 2008

2008/6/12 Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:49:57AM +0300, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
>> Speaking of which, if you have any ideas how to better interlink and combine:
>> - http://dri.freedesktop.org/
>> - http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
>> - http://mesa3d.org/
> I don't understand why DRI and Mesa have separate lists and websites,
> tbh, especially given the level of crosstalk.  For the wikis, it should
> be possible to link between them, and I'll try to sort out how to make
> that happen.

Hi. Would it be any beneficial to (either, both or neither):

1. Combine mailing lists as follows:
- mesa3d-dev & dri-devel
- mesa3d-users & dri-users
- mesa3d-announce & dri-announce
- mesa-commit & dri-patches

There is probably historical reasons for the separation, but are there
any current ones that would be more important than the benefits for
single point of discussion about Mesa/DRI which overlap so much anyway
(especially in users' perspective, but also development-wise)?

At the same time, they might be moved to freedesktop.org from sourceforge.net?

2. Make DRI's wiki into combined Mesa3D's and DRI's wiki. Mesa3D does
not currently have a wiki of its own, but DRI has. Mesa3D certainly
doesn't need yet another wiki in addition to X.org wiki and DRI wiki,
so why not make it a common one officially?

I think Mesa3D's current web site is quite nicely organized, and could
be evolved from that by integrating a bit more DRI stuff and the new
(currently DRI) wiki into it. Certainly not throwing away it and
replacing with a wiki, a wiki would take a very big effort to make it
as navigable and organized as the Mesa3D homepage currently is.

If either sounds reasonable, is it acceptable for DRI as a project to
be generally known (as it already mostly is known, I think) a
sub-project of Mesa3D, so the combined name would be simply Mesa3D? Or
is there a need for clearer separation between the two? Mainly
important from the perspective of naming of the mailing lists, ie. can
they be mesa3d-devel or something else.

-Timo