Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Jun 12 02:57:08 PDT 2008

Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade wrote:
>> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>>> Can we assume xf86-video-via is already a loser?

via can probably be considered dead. It is not maintained and was not
adapted for libpciaccess. afaik, unichrome doesn't have libpciaccess
either and only support a subset of the chipset openchrome support.
openchrome does have support for both libpciaccess and support for all
the VIA chipset but the newer VX800. openchrome is parallel-installable
to via or unichrome, so imho both unichrome and openchrome can stay.

>>   Openchrome officially in in xorg would be good, but I don't know what
>> will be of via and if they will maintain open source drivers...
>
> They are willing to provide documentation and help. Please contact Luc
> Verhagen or me if you're interested in getting doc.

They _announced_ they are willing to provide documentation and help.
Their (latest) opensource announcement was done 2 months ago. The
openchrome team had a 2 hours chat with some VIA representative one
month ago. As of today, their new linux portal still only offer distro
specific binaries, no source, no documentation. openchrome team sent
them a lengthy mail 2 days ago, the answer was a one liner saying they
are still "collecting the idea inside the VIA Linux group" and they
still don't know what they "can do for the first step".

If anyone has better contact and is able to provide docs, the openchrome
team is indeed very interested.

Regards,
Xavier