Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 13:57:48 PDT 2008

So here's what's left.

xserver 1.5 is coming together pretty well.  I'd like to do another pass
through the bug list and knock out anything that looks super terrifying
and/or trivial.  I could totally use help here!

The last bits of technical change I think I want for 1.5 are the EXA
glyph storage changes, and converting to external Mesa build for glcore.
Donnie's gentoo server tree has the glcore stuff ported already
(thanks!), which I intend to steal.  Note that this means requiring Mesa
7.1; if you've got Mesa bugs you're unhappy with, now is the time.

After 1.5, I want to get a good blessed set of top-tier drivers.  This
means pretty much anything I haven't been doing automated releases for:
ati, nv, intel, xgi, xgixp, mga...  This also means smashing evdev into
shape to call 2.0, if there's anything left we need done there.  If this
sounds like a driver you care about, now would be the time to think
about what branch and/or release you want to be in the 7.4 katamari.

There's probably some detail work in the libs I'm forgetting.  Please
remind me.

After that, it's just about publishing the module list and sending
release announcements.  Yay!  Then we can have a long chat about
continuous snapshots and better up-front testing.  Better yet, we could
_actually do those things_.  How's that sound?

We also need to start planning what we want in 7.5.  Be aware that,
historically speaking, we deliver on about 51% of what we target for a
release.  This is great for the stock market, but kind of crap for
software.  Let's be less crap.

- ajax