[compiz] color management spec

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Tue Jun 10 05:21:43 PDT 2008

Danny Baumann wrote:
> I strongly dislike supporting subwindow ID/profile tuples. The task of
> window and compositing managers is and always has been to manage and draw
> _toplevel_ windows, not subwindows. I don't really think that adding a
> subwindow management infrastructure to compositing managers just for saving
> some lines of code in the toolkit (and not even all of them) is an overly
> good idea.

It's not just for 'saving some lines of code in the toolkit'. Color
management would require significantly more code in the toolkit and
would most likely be slower then if it is done in the compositing manager.

How the application communicates with the compositing manager and
specifies the regions of a window is still an open question. I suggested
using subwindows because that seemed a good idea at that time. But now
that I see that qt doesn't use them, I'll have to come up with a
different approach.

tom