accelaration method for intel

Tomas Davidek Tomas.Davidek at cern.ch
Sat Jun 7 08:53:20 PDT 2008

Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 02:43:01PM +0200, Tomas Davidek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>    thanks for the hint. Not sure I understand the question -
>> I am using framebuffers only in text console, but Xorg is started
>> normally (no fbdev in xorg.conf - attached). Was this the question ?
>
> grep compression /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (**) intel(0): Framebuffer compression disabled

Thanks. I am really not using framebuffer compression, although the
system attempts to use it:
(II) intel(0): [drm] Using the DRM lock SAREA also for drawables.
(II) intel(0): [drm] framebuffer mapped by ddx driver
(II) intel(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) intel(0): X context handle = 0x1
(II) intel(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(**) intel(0): Framebuffer compression enabled
(**) intel(0): Tiling enabled
(==) intel(0): VideoRam: 131072 KB
(II) intel(0): Attempting memory allocation with tiled buffers.
(WW) intel(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1536 pages failed
         (Cannot allocate memory)
(WW) intel(0): Allocation error, framebuffer compression disabled
(WW) intel(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 10 pages failed
         (Cannot allocate memory)
(WW) intel(0): Failed to allocate texture space.
(II) intel(0): Tiled allocation failed.
(II) intel(0): Attempting memory allocation with untiled buffers.
(WW) intel(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 10 pages failed
         (Cannot allocate memory)
(II) intel(0): Untiled allocation successful.

Do you think it might solve the problem if framebuffer compression is
enabled ?

Meanwhile, I was playing a bit with other options and discovered that
the problem disappears if BackingStore is NOT enabled. This option is
not documented in the intel driver manual, I think it's a general
XFree86/Xorg feature. I use it since ages for all video cards in order
to prevent one special graphics windows (HIGZ from paw, see cernlib-base
package docs) to remember its content when overlapped with another window.

So, it seems that BackingStore option enabled somehow causes troubles to
the new intel driver. Is it a feature or a bug ?

Cheers,
                 Tomas