Xorg locks up

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Jun 6 01:05:08 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:01:59AM +0400, Евгений Косов wrote:
> My Xorg keeps locking up for unknown reason. I couldn't find out any
> rule but everytime symptoms are the following:
>
> - CPU load is about 100%
> - there's no any reaction to keyboard, but mouse is still alive.

The mouse is immune to soft-lockups.

> - ktrace shows that Xorg keeps invoking the same call in a cycle:

That's the scheduler periodically interrupting the request.  You'll
probably want to run gdb on the server (passing -dumbSched to the server
on startup) to find out where it's actually stuck.

> I'm not sure about chipset, Xorg.0.log sais:
>
> (--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found
>
> I've already tried to upgrade X.Org and window manager with no luck.
>
> Is anything else needed?
> Any idea what might be a reason? What should I do?

If you're using the nv driver, try upgrading to the latest from git:
benjsc fixed an issue that might well be biting you.

Cheers,
Daniel