building xorg

Peter Hutterer peter at cs.unisa.edu.au
Thu Jun 5 15:28:17 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:30:51PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> test -d libxcb-1.1.90 || mkdir libxcb-1.1.90
> list='src tests doc'; for subdir in $list; do  if test "$subdir" = .; then :;
> else  test -d "libxcb-1.1.90/$subdir"  || /usr/local/bin/gmkdir -p
> "libxcb-1.1.90/$subdir"  || exit 1;  distdir=`CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd
> libxcb-1.1.90 && pwd`;  top_distdir=`CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd
> libxcb-1.1.90 && pwd`;  (cd $subdir &&  make   top_distdir="$top_distdir"
> distdir="$distdir/$subdir"  am__remove_distdir=:  am__skip_length_check=:
> distdir)  || exit 1;  fi;  done
> make: don't know how to make xinput.h. Stop
> *** Error code 1
>
> that looks to me like a broken dependency line in a Makefile, right?
>
> Anyhow, my goal is really to end up with a xorg installation that will support
> using dbus for xinput driver testing. and not xorg in itself, so it might seem a
> bit mercenary, but I really don't want to track down all the problems.  Could I
> get a date near as possible current, which has a xorg that definitely builds,
> and the git command that will grab it for me?  I'm also brand new at git, I am a
> lot more used to cvs, so until I get more experienced with using git, I need
> hand now and then on it.

I've been building from master for months now and with a few exceptions been
fine. Always check http://tinderbox.freedesktop.org too, it's a good hint on
whether the build is broken or it's a local issue.
I also just tried a make distclean && autogen.sh in libxcb and it all worked
smoothly.

Anyway. For input driver testing you just need the server, not libxcb, libXi
and most of the other libs. Jhbuild may also be easier to use than the
build.sh script.
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/JhBuildInstructions

> BTW, I had been asking for at least 4 months here for any help on writing xinput
> modules, and _finally_ that xinput howto that Peter gave me, it's what I was
> after.  Once I get xorg cranking to my satisfaction, I guess I am off and
> running, I have all the usb stuff all detailed in my mind (what a task that was!)

I really encourage you to also think about exporting your device through the
evdev driver, as Nicholas suggested in another email. It would take some load
off you, since evdev already works, and there is an evtouch driver floating
around too (which I haven't really had a look at yet).
Depending on your device, this may be preferable over writing yet another
input module.

Cheers,
  Peter