my Xinput module for the tablet

Nicholas King ze at zerandconsulting.com
Wed Jun 4 20:51:10 PDT 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:42:33PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> I have done all my demo usb stuff, to where the rest of my coding is
>> associated
>> solely with fitting it to Xorg, no longer getting it to talk to usb.  I
>> downloaded a copy of all your sources, and I guess I will be
>> satisfied with
>> using the sources as the only documentation, as little as I like
>> that, because
>> ctags and vim make that less than impossible to use.  The only thing
>> I need is
>> some info on doing testing.
>>

> You're lacking a bit of context in your email. I gather you want to
> write an
> input driver?
>
> the current evdev driver is very easy to understand and gives you a good
> structure on how input drivers look like. Additionally, there's
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/XorgInputHOWTO (which
> would
> appreciate updating as you learn :)

I found it easier when I was writing a touch screen driver for a serial
interface to write it using the evdev interface in the kernel. I really
should submit it but I wanted to clean it up a bit more.
>> You see, when I did the usb stuff, getting test results were no
>> problem at all,
>> but now, with the uclogic_drv.so format, I haven't got any sort of
>> idea how to
>> go about doing testing, short of having to restart my X11 screens
>> from start,
>> and doing that as a boot.  That's going to be slow as hell while I
>> work at small
>> intermediate steps (which is the way I like to test driver-type
>> software.
>>
>> Is there any method I'm innocently unaware of, that will allow me
>> better testing?
>>

> yes. if you compile your x server with the dbus API enabled
> (--enable-config-dbus at configure time) you can tell it at runtime to
> add/remove devices. This is the easiest method to testing drivers.
> Docs for the DBus API can be found in xserver/config/dbus-api.

When I was writing the driver I just used to load and unload the kernel
module then do Crtl-Alt-Backspace to close the XServer and GDM was set
to restart it :)

Cheers,
             Nicholas King