SiS 771/671 and MergedFB Xinerama

Joanet mimosinnet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:58:09 PDT 2008

Hi to everybody. I would appreciate if you could give me some hints on
this.

I have two screens, an external VGA monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024,
and the LCD with 1280x800. The final virtual desktop is 2560x1024. Therefore,
there is a region in the 1280x800 LCD monitor lager than the visible area.
From the documentation, you could:
(a) Move the mouse cursor towards the edges and scroll ("pan") the display.
or
(b) "If you have display devices with different maximum resolutions you might
desire a non-rectangular screen to avoid panning."
(http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsispart2.shtml#mergedfbmode,Thomas
Winischhofer site). This is achieved by the MergedNonRectangular option in
xorg.conf.

I am having a very strange behaviour. When X starts, I get the (a) panning
behaviour (xdm login screen). In this situation, when I maximise a window, it
occupies the whole virtual desktop (both monitors). If I log into my window
manager (fvwm) and exit, I am able to get (b) MergedNonRectangular option
(the one I prefer, because maximised screens stay on one monitor). If I
restart X (ctrl-backspace) I am in (a) behaviour again. The log
file /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not change after exiting and entering back into
my window manager (fvwm).

I do not understand why entering and exiting my window manager would change
how xinerama behaves. Also, I would like to have the (b) behaviour from the
beginning, without having to enter and exit my window manager. Any hints
appreciated. Thanks!

====
Info:
I have a SiS 771/671 PCIE card. I am using MergedFB and I have followed the
indications in
http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsispart2.shtml#mergedfbmode,Thomas
Winischhofer site[/url].  This is the device section of
my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
[code]Section "Device"
	Identifier  	"Device0"
	Driver      	"sis"
	VendorName  	"Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]"
	BoardName   	"771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option 		"EnableSiSCtrl" "yes"
	Option 		"DRI" "off"
	Option 		"MergedFB" "auto"
	Option 		"MetaModes" "1280x1024-1280x800 1280x1024+800x600 1280x800 800x600"
	Option		"MergedNonRectangular" "on"
	Option 		"MergedDPI" "100 100"
EndSection[/code]
--