[ANNOUNCE] New X modesetting driver

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Mon Jun 2 10:38:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008 13:42:12 +0100
Alan Hourihane <alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just pushed an initial simple version of a modesetting X driver.
>
> It can do resize, and there's no DRI support yet, but I think I'll just
> do DRI2 only at this time. There's plenty of stub routines that need
> filling in yet.
>
> Also, there's stubs for EXA which I'll be implementing to call into
> gallium's pipe driver directly to avoid any loss of performance.
>
> Additionally, I'm planning to also support glucose within this driver to
> allow for switching acceleration interfaces.
>
> The code is at
>
> git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-modesetting.
>
> I'm currently using a 915GM test machine, but I hope to remove the PCI
> detection code and make it more generic so it just works with the
> underlying specified BusID which is drmOpen's anyway.
>
> Alan.

I did start somethings similar weeks ago
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~glisse/xf86-video-kms/

Would be nice to add some hook in the driver so we can add driver EXA
specific acceleration. Also i think somethings like dri_bufmgr could be
use as an abstraction for the underlying memory manager.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse