xorg on amd64

Chris Pemberton cjpembo.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 20:09:15 PDT 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Just wondering if there was an interest group for getting Xorg working
> completely on the amd64 (as a 64 bit kernel &libs) platform?  If so, do those
> folks have a separate list?  I'd love to find that, and read all the articles.
> I tried to get it building, immediately, there are some include dependency
> problems, probably more, and I'm curious if much work's been done on this?

"I am not a programmer... but I run 64-bit ArchLinux..."

Will running a 64-bit Linux improve xorg's performance?  Perhaps some
optimizations have been coded?  My laptop (i945GM) and desktop (Intel
3100) have shared video memory?  Would 64-bit addressing help?

Just curious,

Chris

Although I currently use the closed source nvidia driver, I have always
promised myself I'd find the time to play with the on-board intel chip
on my desktop machine ().  If it is as stable as the 32-bit I am
currently using nvidia proprority drivers on a pci-e card, but have
thought about using the onboard intel