xf86-video-intel 2.5 release planning

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 31 13:30:44 PDT 2008

Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Target highlights for this release include:
>   1) usable EXA support
>   6) removal of XAA code

For me, even on the 2.4 series, EXA is still unusably slow on my i945
and compositing. Perhaps I'm missing a setting. It's certainly better
than before (it used to crash the server!), but I'm still a little
concerned about removing XAA completely (main issue right now is
scrolling, but I'll need to read Carl's blog and see what's what!)

If EXA really, really does work and has no (massive) regressions on all
hardware then great, but is it worth actually *removing* code in this
release (i.e. will it hold back/delay other features?)

If I was playing the percentages game, I'd say the safer bet would be to
get EXA good now, and keep the XAA just in case and aim to drop it from
the 2.6 series.

In mdv packages we still defaulted to XAA for a lot of hardware and even
if the 2.4, I'm not seeing enough evidence to make me want to change
that just yet.

Just some thoughts.

Col