xf86-video-intel 2.5 release planning

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Jul 31 12:22:51 PDT 2008

On Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:02 pm Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 11:56 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > 6. No more XAA
> > Back in 2.2, we made EXA the default acceleration architecture for the
> > driver. It obviously wasn't quite ready back then for everything people
> > were throwing at it, but OTOH it didn't have some of the fundamental
> > shortcomings of XAA. It looks like it's finally ready though, so assuming
> > Carl has EXA performance well in-hand, we should be able to delete the
> > XAA code altogether (which will be nice since it doesn't support several
> > features and has bugs we don't want to fix).
>
> Does this include the (real) i810 XAA code?

No, I wasn't planning on touching i810.  We don't have much test hardware for
it, so we try not to modify things.

> I was poking at unifying i810 with the rest of the driver a while ago.
> I assume you wouldn't mind patches if they showed up.

Yeah, I'd be happy to unify things assuming patches come my way and we have a
few testers (I might even be able to get my hands on some old i815 hardware
if needed).  Hibbelharry on #intel-gfx (wilken at f048036012.adsl.alicedsl.de
fwiw) was asking about how to go about this work just the other day too; it
sounded like he'd be willing to help with testing & development.

Thanks,
Jesse