blind people, no screen, dummy driver, etc.

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Jul 30 17:04:46 PDT 2008

Hello,

On an accessibility list, somebody reported that he wasn't able to start
X.  Digging in the logs showed that he actually had not screen connected
to his video card (why would he bother to have one?), and thus the video
driver said it couldn't initialize (Intel 945G).  Of course I suggested
to rather use the dummy driver or xvfb, but he said that maybe Xorg
itself could suggest that in the logs.  The driver could as well be fine
with no screen and just fallback to e.g. 1024x768 at 60.

I don't really know what to think about it.  I guess it wouldn't be
convenient for Xorg to enable the dummy driver by default as a fallback
(though distributions could do so when they know that their user could
be happy with it).
The dummy/xvfb suggestion when no screen is connected would only make
sense for that particular case, but it'd be quite useful there.  Any
opinion?

Samuel