enabling Composite

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Jul 28 10:59:44 PDT 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008 07:15:45 pm Edwin Smulders wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:49 AM, Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com>
wrote:
> > This will definitely fix your problem.  Xinerama + Composite do not
> > work together with the nvidia drivers.  nvidia says this is a
> > limitation in the xserver.  I'm not sure what, if anything, the Xorg
> > developers say.
> >
> > Since Composite was being enabled in your xorg.conf file, but not
> > showing up in xdpyinfo, the fact that you were using xinerama is the
> > only logical conclusion, though it took me longer to get to that
> > conclusion than it should have :-)
> >
> > Adam
>
> Thanks for your help, I enabled Twinview and Composite worked without a
> problem. While we're on this topic, the reason I used Xinerama was that
> Twinview+xrandr reports my resolution as 3360x1050, is it possible to
> make twinview or xrandr report 2 monitors with the correct resolution?

No.  This is one of the issues with TwinView the other known issue is that it
does not correctly support the XVidModeExtension API which means that you can
not calibrate your monitors correctly since you can not set the video card
gamma table for the second monitor (actually it is worse since it uses the
same gamma table for both).

Hal