setxkbmap crashes whole xorg-server

Tobias Jakobi liquid.acid at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 08:26:56 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I just wanted to use setxkbmap to change my keyboard layout (I need to
change from DE to US prior to starting wine because of some nasty bug
with some games) and it crashed the entire X server.

After that gdm restarts X but it doesn't seem to be very stable and
usually it crashes again after some time, then with a "glibc detected
error" message and not coming back.

That's the first thing. xorg-server is git master.

The second thing is: Can I somehow change the layout using another tool?
I was under the impression that xinput should do that now. But that
doesn't seem to be the case. At least it doesn't show any layout
property with list-props.

Anyone with an idea?

Thanks,
Tobias Jakobi