enabling Composite

Jacob Welsh welshjf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 12:51:33 PDT 2008

Edwin Smulders wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com> wrote:
>> What video card and drivers?  I don't believe that all combinations of
>> cards and drivers support the Composite extension.
>>

> Nvidia 8800 GTS 512
>
> This is what portage says about my version:
> *  x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
>       Latest version available: 173.14.09
>       Latest version installed: 173.14.09

Look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_GL_Desktop_Effects if you
haven't already. Compositing works for me on Gentoo with the same card
and driver version. You should be seeing this in your Xorg.0.log:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.

Otherwise, you might try the Gentoo forums. You can't expect X.org
developers to support a proprietary, 3rd party driver.

Jacob