pixman 0.11.6 license

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Fri Jul 25 13:38:14 PDT 2008

"Joshua Chia" <joshchia at gmail.com> writes:

> I downloaded pixman 0.11.6 from
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=pixman.git;a=summary, but the COPYING file
> is empty.  I need it to build cairo, and as I understand it, it used to be
> included in cairo.  Where can I find the license for pixman, or could
> someone package a license with the next release?

Most of the code in Pixman originates in the X server, so it has a
long history, many contributors and several subtly different
licenses. As such, the COPYING file should in principle be an
aggregate of all the licenses used.

If you or someone else want to go through all the files and extract
copyright notices, that would be much appreciated.

All the licenses have in common that they are simple and permissive,
often called "MIT" or "X11" or "BSD without advertising".

For new code, the recommended license is this:

      Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
      obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
      files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
      restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
      copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
      sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
      Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following
      conditions:

      The above copyright notice and this permission notice (including
      the next paragraph) shall be included in all copies or
      substantial portions of the Software.

      THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
      EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
      OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
      NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT
      HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
      WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
      FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
      OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Soren