gtk+ and randr

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Fri Jul 25 09:56:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:49:47 -0400
Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 12:12 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> The
> toolkit wants to know the borders of the glass so it can adjust window
> placement, and it wants to know output names so it can do things like
> maximize impress to the right bit of glass.

What I don't understand is, why toolkits need to know this in the first
place. Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the window manager to
place windows? I guess, currently the WM doesn't have enough
information to place e.g. drop-down menus. But shouldn't the Extended WM
Hints be extended even more, to allow for this? Like in the case of
drop-down menus the WM would need to know position and size of the
widget to which the menu should be connected.

Why is this stuff implemented on the toolkit level?

Cheers,
harry