[framebuffer size] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.4.0

Robert Šmol smol.robert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 03:01:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

by reading some web I see there is a maximum frame buffer size fixed at
2048x2048 pixels by default and intel-driver is not able to recompute this
when new monitor is plugged in. I also read that it is possible to create a
SubSection "Display" and increase it with 'Virtual' parameter (which works
for me). But by going beyond 2048x2048 disables the DRI.

Since my laptop screen is 1440x900 and the projector is 1024x768 to setup
those two next to each other will require 2064x900 which is larger then 2048
I guess my DRI will be always disabled, loosing all the nice Compiz stuff.

I would like to ask if is this is still true ( xrandr 1.2, intel driver
2.2.1, xserver xprg 1.4.1) and if there is anything I can do about it or if
the new drivers already implements the dynamic changes to frame buffer.
>From the announcement I see

xvmc: enlarge batch buffer size

is this related?

Tahnk you many times