is there a list of lib dependencies?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jul 24 06:49:10 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 20:46 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I seem to be on this endless hunt for library dependencies.
>
> Running on that hint I got to look into xf86-input/mouse/src/mouse.c, I took a
> function out of there and stuck it into the test template I'd made out of
> xserver/hw/xfree86/parser/cpconfig.c.  I found the original library that the
> function, xf86SetStrOption(), came from (libosandcommon.a), but I seem to be
> caught in this endless loop, because every time I add a library, I seem to add
> 2-4 new libs, ones that are dependent on that library.  It seems to be an
> endless search, probably because there's a particular list and order that I
> ought to be following to add libs to link against my test template.
>
> And, so far, not a single one is from the regular X11/R7.4/lib.  I'm forever
> searching for things internal to the xorg sources.  Is there some list of the
> correct library linking dependencies?  If I can't find one, this is gonna take
> me forever to hunt these all down.

There's a topologically sorted list in build.sh:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/modular/tree/build.sh

But those are, primarily, client-side libraries, which doesn't seem to
be what you're talking about at all.

X drivers are not themselves executable objects.  They are shared
libraries.  They only work when dlopen()'d by the X server, and the
unresolved symbols in the driver are provided by the server.  So you
don't link the driver against libosandcommon, or against anything else
from the server, at build time.

You really sound like you're making this more complicated than it is.

- ajax