dead key not caught

kaaposc kaaposc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 06:35:02 PDT 2008

Hello!

Fast typing with layout 'lv' and variant 'apostrophe' has been hard for
long time. As I noticed, problem appears if letter-before-apostrophe has
not been released fully when apostrophe key is pressed.

For example, word "yes" in Latvian is "jā". It is typed "j ' a". If I
press and release each key separately everything is OK. If I press key j
and without releasing it press apostrophe key, I get 2 variants: first,
if I release apostrope _before_ j is released (not very likely) I get
correct letter when a key follows; second: if I release apostrophe
_after_ j i released, dead key is lost and I get a instead of a with a
macron.

More technically (as seen in "showkey -s"):
normal case (works as needed):
 0x24 0xa4
 0x28 0xa8
 0x1e 0x9e
wrong case (rather frequent in fast typing):
 0x24 0x28 0xa4 0xa8
 0x1e 0x9e
working but not likely case:
 0x24 0x28 0xa8 0xa4
 0x1e 0x9e

And what else - it does not matter if letter _after_ dead key is pressed
after dead key release event of before - we get right letter.

As of my linux distribution - I am using Arch Linux with latest updates,
but I think it does not matter as I have seen this before on other
systems.

I really hope anybody could point me where in X11 code to look for dead
key implementation so I could try to figure out a patch (slow typing is
not workaround ;-) ).

--
kaaposc