revert b59757e468227127b91fff17b523da4deec8b04d

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Mon Jul 21 12:44:28 PDT 2008

Aaron Plattner wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 07:13:59AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> I do not see the point of adding autoconfig for drivers we don't ship
>> with X.org.
  There is an openchrome entry there also, and Xorg doesn't ship it.

  I think the nouveau driver should also be modified to work more easily
as a "fallback", and not require a kernel module (it still doesn't work
correctly anyway) but it is better then plain nv. And nouveau also makes
it hard to use it because it also requires gallium...

> I assume by "b59757e468227127b91fff17b523da4deec8b04d" you meant
> 66fb253082ea42179180303393e48846208987fa.  The point of X server
> autoconfiguration is to make an attempt at working correctly in the absence
> of an xorg.conf file.  Last I checked, the nvidia driver was not installed
> by default on any distro.  For users that choose not to install the driver,
> the server will simply fall back to nv now that we have multiple driver
> autoconfig courtesy of Alan Coopersmith.  For users that choose to install
> the nvidia driver, the X server will just work, which is the entire goal of
> autoconfiguration.
  It won't just work because it requires a different gl setup, and
rebuilding kernel modules every kernel upgrade. Also it is quite
hard for an end user to get it working right, if the distro doesn't
support it somehow.
  If an end user manages to get it working, he/she should not
even consider updating kernel or X Server, because updating could
also mean needing to update to a version of the driver that doesn't
support that hardware anymore, i.e. geforce3 and older are not
supported anymore.

Paulo