Cope without xmkmf

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jul 21 07:01:15 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 15:22 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Attached are patches to add copies the X macros to xorg's util-macros
> package and add a method to search via pkg-config. This isn't ideal
> since it requires that the xorg macros are found to override the
> autoconf ones, but I couldn't find a satisfactory way to wedge in a
> pkg-config check to AC_PATH_X externally.
>
> This approach has the advantage that we still fallback on the xmkmf and
> direct approaches whether the xorg macros and pkg-config are available
> or not. However, in the case that the xorg macros are available, we can
> be smarter about using the X installation. It also makes sense that the
> X implementation control the autoconf macros governing its usage.
>
> Let me know what you think. I've cc'd the xorg list to see if this would
> be acceptable.

This seems plausible.

We did, during modularisation, verify that the build system worked with
every package installed into its own prefix.  This is admittedly an
insane thing to do.  If we wanted to preserve the ability to do that,
_AC_PATH_X_PKGCONFIG would need to know about more than just the x11
package, but I'm fine with not caring about that case.

- ajax