gtk+ and randr

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jul 21 06:54:56 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 16:40 -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> As many of you probably know, GTK+ has apparently been calling
> XRRGetScreenResources() on startup for some time now. Having a laptop, I
> occasionally find myself using VGA displays which, for the last few
> months, flickered horribly when starting a gtk+ application due to EDID
> probing (as I reported in bug #16224 [1]). Earlier this week, this issue
> was worsened when I pulled down the latest xorg commits from git. On my
> intel hardware, even the LVDS output now flickers when starting a gtk+
> application.

XRRGetScreenResources is an expensive call.  Always.  If gtk is calling
it on every app startup they're absolutely insane.

> While I have run across a few discussions[2][3] on how to resolve this
> issue, I haven't seen any definitive plans. Most of the proposals I've
> seen from the gtk+/gnome people revolve around doing caching in the x
> server. Is this a reasonable course of action from the perspective of
> the x server?  Discuss.

Caching doesn't solve anything.  Caching just means you get two
requests, one for "tell me a configuration you had some time in the
past" and one for "tell me how you're configured right now", and you end
up always calling the latter.

- ajax