revert b59757e468227127b91fff17b523da4deec8b04d

Thomas Ilnseher illth at gmx.de
Mon Jul 21 04:41:19 PDT 2008

Am Montag, den 21.07.2008, 09:28 +0200 schrieb Arne Schmitz:
> Am Montag, 21. Juli 2008 01:43:15 schrieb Aaron Plattner:
> > > I appreciate your decision to ship a binary-only driver.  It's not my
> > > concern, nor is it my place to tell you (NVIDIA) what to do.  X.Org's
> > > license even allows this sort of thing, for good or bad.  (Perhaps if we
> > > had better documentation, the SI could merely be that: a _sample_
> > > implementation.)
> > >
> > > What you're doing, aside from being partially pointless (this will
> > > rarely work in master due to ABI changes, and no-one outside of some
> > > admittedly very nice buildings in Mountain View can recompile), is
> >
> > It's not pointless, it provides improved functionality for users who
> > install the driver with a supported server.  If it's not supported, it
> > falls back to nv, just like it would without this change.
>
> I'm a user and I second Aaron's opinion. Please leave the autoconfig support
> for nvidia drivers in, if you care one bit for your users.
The only thing I could say is "+1". I'm also a User of the Nvidia binary
driver.

By using the nv driver, Nvidia cards are "unusable". There is only some
very basic 2D acceleration. So if one cares for open source drivers,
(ie. because one's working with GIT Master) one doesn't buy nvidia
hardware.

>From a mere  technical standpoint, I think that hardcoded stuff in the
binary X server is bad. Any possibility where this stuff is stored in a
separate text file would be better, if you absolutely don't want to
hardcode the support for the nvidia driver.

Tom

Thomas Ilnseher <illth at gmx.de>