revert b59757e468227127b91fff17b523da4deec8b04d

Jesse Ruffin jesse at eloquentpeasant.net
Sun Jul 20 20:46:05 PDT 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008 19:51:47 Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> Wouldn't it make more sense if this whole driver autoloading business
> went through HAL, .fdi files, etc? Then the problem would rely on
> distributors (NVIDIA in this case) to drop the .fdi file in the
> correct place in their installers. The X server wouldn't need to know
> about autoloading anything more than a 'vesa' fallback.

I don't have a great understanding of the autoconfig system or its rationale, but here are my thoughts.

I was just looking in the affected source code, and I note that there is a function, matchDriverFromFiles, that loads additional pci id to driver maps from a directory on the hard drive.

Why not just fix that function up as a general solution and give it a higher priority during selection? That would let binary drivers override the open ones, and let distributers override the driver detection for known bad configurations.

Jesse Ruffin