testing strategy

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Sun Jul 20 17:43:36 PDT 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 03:33:54PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> I just finished spending 4 hours playing about with hw/xfree86/parser/cpconfig
>> (I wrote a small makefile for it) and I've been swapping various functions I
>> found in that directory, trying to find out how to parse the config file.  I get
>> it how to print various stuff from List-s but I can't tell the right way to go
>> about making the List s yet.  If there was an example of how to find all of the
>> following config section, I would truly appreciate this.  Don't need to tell me
>> how to do it, just list the functions needed, I'll experiment out the rest:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>
>>     # generated from default
>>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>>     Driver         "mouse"
>>     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>>     Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>> EndSection
>

> the default section is always
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier "..."
>   Driver "..."
>   Device "..." # not always required
>   Option "whatever" "values"
> EndSection
>
> You can define Options in the driver, as much as you want.
> xf86CheckIntOption, xf86CheckStrOption, etc. hand you the value when you need
> it.
>
>> I know how to register all the values (valuators and buttons) and send events, I
>> just need to read the conf file.  cpconfig is not terribly  useful at this,
>> although it DOES work.
>
> why do you need to read the config file again?

Umm, again?

 the server does it anyway, you
> just ask the server for the values applicable for your device. What am I
> missing here?

I don't really care a whit whether I'm reading the config file directly, or if
I'm grilling the xserver about it, either way, I need the info, and I don't know
how to get it.  To be honest, though, I hadn't thouoght much about the fact that
the xserver might have already read the file once.  Not that that matter one
heck of a lot to me, It's still missing info.  Would be nice to know that info,
however, wouldn't it?

I'm always assuming everybody is thinking exactly what I am, so my typing is
often confusing (at least I know this about myself).  Anyhow, I'm just trying to
find the Xorg-standardized method of reading the option info and the values
assigned in the config file, for everything in an InputDevice section.  My own
tablet device is definitely going to have a InputDevice section, and I think no
more than about 6 to 8 configs options.   Tablets need to get the X/Y (and Z,
being TipPressure) axis scaling info, and also 2 buttons and also a Proximity thing.

I have all this actually working, asa pure non-X,, but making it's output to the
screen in ASCII, which is just a bit short of expectations (poor joke?)  At
least I know that the  USB reading, configuring & parsing stuff works like a
charm.  I just need to fully translate this to Xorg-speak.

The only stuff dealing with parsing the xorg.conf file I'm certain of yet is
xf86openConfigFile(), finding and opening the config file. Also, that a List
always has a GenericListRec list in it.  It seems that all of the config info
always has a List in it.

Of course, I could cheat like hell and write my own parser, but I'd truly
dislike that.  I can find sections there and there, in various input driver
directories, but I can't find anything (yet) that clearly demonstrates how to do
it.  Can't find any descriptions, either.

If I stay at this a while longer, I will either figure this out (within the
week) or go stir-crazy. I'm not really sure which one comes first, any bets?)