testing strategy

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Jul 20 11:46:59 PDT 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:
> What's a dix?  I *think* I saw the words "device independent Xserver), but I'm
xserver/dix, mainly. Absolutely useable.

> Second, I never heard of a kdrive, and on this one, I can't even hazard the
> least guess.  Same questions as above.
xserver/hw/kdrive
A experimetal server, quite independent code base AFAIK.

> Lastly, xephyr.  I get it that, in conjunction somehow with kdrive, it's xome
xserver/hw/kdrive/ephyr
As I got it: Xserver-in-a-window
But of course since you are testing xf86 input drivers, won't buy you a
thing IMO.

> God, I really hate freeloading like this, so if you folks know of anything you
> can think of which I should have read in advance of this, I'd really appreciate
> being pointed that way.
I hope I helped you at least a bit.
I'm doing input stuff too, on one system, and I don't know a way around
ctrl-alt-Fx. Maybe get a second system (I guess that system wouldn't
need a fullblown X, but don't rely on that). See this:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging

Good luck!