testing strategy

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Jul 19 18:37:31 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 09:13:09PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I got a suggestion a while back, that I could use dbus along with a dbus-enabled
> xserver to be able to load & unload Xinput drivers.  I recently finished
> rebuilding all of the Xorg stuff, so I would have my own server that my Xinput
> module is built for.  Since then, I've become aware (at least, I've become
> suspicious about) the possibility of running an xserver *in*a*window* on the
> same machine, so I could run my own working xserver (where I run my terminals &
> my editor sessions) and another different xserver, whose output goes to a
> window, doesn't bother my pre-existing xserver, and lets me bring it up & take
> it down independently for quick'n'easy Xinput driver testing (so I could also
> get the Xorg.0.log on the little xserver).  Trouble on doing this is, I dunno
> how, dunno what tools to use, nothing to even begin to investigate.  I don't
> mind reading the docs (if there are any) but I need some suggestions on what the
> tools are that I need, and if, in fact, what I want is at all possible.

Not really.  Xephyr does that, but it's based on KDrive (hw/kdrive)
rather than the Xorg DDX (hw/xfree86).  IOW, it's a trap.

(Yes, they should be unified, and there's no reason why input is
abstracted at that level instead of at the DIX, aside from the usual
history.)

> OK, second question, ... you know, if I can get the testing stuff answered well
> enough that it really eases my testing, I could get my own answer and not have
> to bother you folks at all.  I think I will do that, just concentrate on getting
> me the ability to bring up a Xihnput module without my having to bring up and
> down my Xserver which I have all my Vim sessions on.  I could do that, but I
> sure as hell don't want to.

You'll come to love screen.  (Or, more likely, come to utterly detest
it because you can't live without it, but wish you could.  Ho hum.)

Cheers,
Daniel