Incompatible render changes

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 19 16:15:25 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 21:25 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> Are you saying that API compatibility can never be broken at all
> whatsoever?

Uh, no -- we're all about fixing broken stuff after years of neglect. I
just like to make it fairly easy to build drivers for various versions
of the server, and if changes can be made that simplify that, it's
always nicer.

One question -- does this belong in a picture or the pixmap itself?

> Because that has not been the case so far. For example the
> mouse driver doesn't build at the moment.

This part seems like a gratuitous incompatible change, as leaving the
old defines around doesn't affect new code?

> There is utility in implementing a picture with a pixman_image_t
> internally to avoid creating a new one on each composite request that
> falls back to software.

Sounds like a good change to me.

I'm fine with the X server requiring a specific version of pixman as
well, so you can just whack the server code to build only against the
newer version of pixman.

For drivers, I want them to be usable against older X servers as some
distributions like to ship updated drivers with new hardware support
against ancient versions of the X server. That means doing the
appropriate configure checks and conditional code that builds either
way.

keith.packard at intel.com