Incompatible render changes

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Sat Jul 19 12:25:14 PDT 2008

Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 20:35 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
>
> > If not now, then when?
>
> Never seems like a fine option; they aren't hurting anything, are
> they?

Are you saying that API compatibility can never be broken at all
whatsoever? Because that has not been the case so far. For example the
mouse driver doesn't build at the moment.

> > If you can assume a new server, why not a new pixman?
>
> We can't assume a new server either; I try to package drivers that can
> build back to Xorg 7.2 at least.

> Is there some utility in breaking compatibility here?

There is utility in implementing a picture with a pixman_image_t
internally to avoid creating a new one on each composite request that
falls back to software.

Soren