Will kernel modesetting allow x86 cards to be used in MIPS, SPARC, PA-RISC boxes?

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 13:12:07 PDT 2008

Hi,

I asked on IRC yesterday, and was told that kernel modesetting should
allow the usage of graphics cards with x86-only ROMs to be used in
MIPS, SPARC, PA-RISC, and other architectures where the card would
normally require a special ROM.

Is this really the case? If so, how does this get around the lack of
ROM initialization at boot-time? Are there any caveats?

I'm specifically asking about Radeon, but answers pertaining to any
and all other graphics cards will be tolerated. ;)

Thanks,

Matt Turner