Removal of XFree86-Misc

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jul 16 08:54:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:30:22AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >     XFree86: Remove XFree86-Misc extension
> >
> >     Its last remaining purpose in life has been destroyed by input
> >     properties.  Au revoir: it's been fun, by which I mean awful.
>
> Xscreensaver uses XF86MiscSetGrabKeysState() and whines every time
> it blanks the screen if its configure found libXxf86misc but the
> server doesn't advertise XFree86-Misc.    What should it be using
> instead and has anyone sent a patch to jwz to use it?

It shouldn't use anything.  If people want to go out of their way to
configure their server such that the screensaver can be killed (does
this even work, though? didn't, last time I tried), then they can live
with the consequences of their screensaver being killed.

> (Speaking of Xscreensaver - jwz was also recently looking for help
>  in getting it to do the right thing with Xrandr 1.2 overlapping
>  and hotplugged outputs if anyone wants to help there:
>  http://jwz.livejournal.com/894714.html  )

Good for jwz.  I don't deal in petulant sociopaths myself, but
hopefully for xscreensaver users, someone fixes it.

Cheers,
Daniel