Mesa: texture_from_pixmap outputs white patch

Ritesh Sood riteshsood at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 01:56:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 01:29 -0700, Ritesh Sood wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >           I have a RV670 (Sapphire Radeon HD 3850) and I'm using
> > radeonhd. The entire Xorg tree including Mesa and drm is built from
> > git. Now, of course I'm not expecting hardware acceleration, but isn't
> > swrast_dri a 100% (software) replacement for hardware features?
> > Running the following commands only outputs a white patch:
> > $ cd mesa/progs/xdemos
> > $ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 ./texture_from_pixmap
> >
> > Other demo programs work though.
> >

> > My question is if i can't expect anything better until dri support for
> > the RV670 is available (sigh!), or is something wrong with my setup?
>
> GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap support hasn't been fully implemented yet
> for software rendering. Shouldn't be hard to fix, but I wouldn't expect
> it to be at all usable.
>

> --
> Earthling Michel Dänzer           |          http://tungstengraphics.com
> Libre software enthusiast         |          Debian, X and DRI developer

okay, thanks a lot. that saves me a lot of agony wondering if my xorg tree
is not upto date. I can pretty much forget about compiz then, i guess.  I
had installed fglrx, but then it's ABI is for xserver-1.4 only, but anyhow.
Another question: I actually have another Radeon 9250 on my machine.  I have
two monitors with a total size 2560x1024, while
DRI on the r200 works for at the most 2048x1024, which is one reason i
bought the Radeon 3850. I've tried a couple of times to get both the Radeon
HD 3850 and Radeon 9250 working on different screens, with and without
Xinerama, but i could never get the setup to work. Using radeonhd_drv and
radeon_drv simultaneously to drive the two cards segfaults. Driving both
cards with radeon_drv outputs only on the primary Radeon HD, while the other
monitor attached to Radeon 9250 stays blank. Again, is it that what i'm
doing is outright illegal, or is it that the above setup should work in
principle, but the Xorg system is not perfect (yet)?

Ritesh