video switching (centrino 2)

dan dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Tue Jul 15 20:21:57 PDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:04:03 +1000, Drew Parsons <dparsons at debian.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:04 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 11:19 +0100, Albert Vilella wrote:
>> > I guess what the new Intel Centrinos will do is enable this as a hot
>> > switch, without requiring reboot.
>>
>> This would be easy to do. Have a look at this post:
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1368826&postcount=10
>>

> Yes, a script like that will be handy for restarting X, automatically
> selecting your chosen video chip.
>
> Of course, the nice new thing would be switching on the fly, without
> having to restarting X.

This reminds me of another feature I saw being discussed ( can't remember
where ) a while back. What would be really cool would be the ability to
migrate X clients between X servers. I could for example log into my home
server, and migrate my Eclipse IDE to my PC at work, save some stuff I
forgot to save, and then save and disconnect the session. It ( Eclipse )
would then sit waiting for some other X server to pick it up again. The
other example of course is the current one, where you could save all X
client info, restart the X server, and then pick everything back up again -
desktop and all. I suppose you'd need another thin server layer to remain
running to make this work? Don't know. Sounds cool though.

Dan