Persisting driver configuration

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 14 15:35:06 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:41:15PM +0200, Christoph Brill wrote:
> I guess someone might have wondered about that before, but now I'm
> wondering myself: How should a driver store changes to the
> configuration? Or how should the configuration of a driver be changed at
> runtime?

> Now how to solve this correctly? I prefer to remove the shared memory
> stuff completely and switch to better mechanism. Is there a solution for
> this yet?

For server 1.6 onwards device properties are the way to go. Simply make the
driver expose appropriate properties and a client can change them at run-time
to any value.
Of course this isn't persistent either and needs to be re-set after server
reboot, but at least it allows you to re-set the values.

For server 1.5 and earlier, ChangeDeviceControl would have been the way to go,
but I discourage its use, it is superseeded by device properties.

See also:
xserver commits: 2039c6ea43244339659323d05d96c14e41996c20, e4054e5cb3d919dfc83021be3f2b9036d0e5a2be
evdev commits: d1818ef2066d7e526e0f64fffd41e06061ceb017

Cheers,
  Peter