Mouse pointer locked up. Anyway to reset mouse while Xserver is running?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Jul 13 14:52:20 PDT 2008

On Sunday 13 July 2008 20:28, David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/7/13 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr>:
> > Thanks for the reply Peter. I sort of thought that I was clutching at
> > straws, in looking for an X solution to this problem, as it does appear
> > that the mouse needs to be physically disabled, as in a complete shutdown
> > of the machine.
>
> Dunno if it's helpful - but on a previous Compaq 6710b laptop I had
> running Kubuntu, the trackpad was playing up and spewing out rubbish -
> so modprobe -r psmouse.ko followed by modprobe psmouse.ko on the Linux
> driver worked fine to reset it without restarting anything else.
>

> - d.

Hi David. That looks promising on Debian based installs. I looked on my FC2
install, psmouse.ko is not in the latest legacy kernel that I had. Rebooted
the new machine into Fedora 8, and psmouse isn't there either. Looks like
Fedora doesn't have that module built into the kernel.

Anyway I'll give your suggestion a go when the pointer locks up on one of my
Debian based installs, and will post you back if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nigel.