xserver build failling AFTER it works ??

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Jul 13 03:35:07 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:31:06PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Why do you assume that modularization rules out the use of make?  From what I
> see here, you use no modularization tools (no auto-tools) above the level of the
> parent of xserver (I've hinted at least 4 times so far that I don't know what
> name you folks give that dir, but I call it xorgsrc).

We don't call that dir anything because it doesn't exist.  So it's hard
to name that.  For me, the 'top-level dir' is ~/x/xorg, and it contains
nothing but a bunch of directories with git checkouts in them.

> From what I see, you use
> either shell or that jhbuild thing.  I don't know how jhbuild works anyhow, had
> no luck  in finding a config file for it on the internet.  Why is it you assume
> you can't use 'make' at that level, and still keep the modularization?
>
> Make could be used just fine to control what modules get built or rebuilt,
> configured or re-configured, at the top, way the heck better than build.sh does.

What we've tried to say is that no-one's really been asking for that.
When I work on a module, I rebuild that module.  If you want to replace
build.sh with a Makefile, by all means, go ahead.  Don't interpret our
messages as preventing you from doing anything.

Cheers,
Daniel