the config file parsing stuff

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Fri Jul 11 19:11:46 PDT 2008

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>>> The only documentation I know is in the XFree86 DDX layer Design doc
>>> in hw/xfree86/doc/sgml/DESIGN.sgml, but I'm not sure how up to date
>>> it is, and it could at least use a good review if not some serious
>>> editing/updating/expanding.
>>
>> I saw that, it seemed to me to be totally about the print server, at least,
>
> That doesn't sound like anything under hw/xfree86/doc - I'd be shocked to see
> any documentation there about Xprint.   Are you sure you're looking at the right
> document?
>
> The one I see in hw/xfree86/doc/sgml/DESIGN.sgml in the Xorg server source tree
> is titled "XFree86 server 4.x Design (DRAFT)" (and since Xorg started with the
> XFree86 4.x design, most of it still applies to Xorg).

OK, I think it's my fault, I was thinking you were referring to that big cache
of docs I saw at the top of the xorg tree (I don't know what you call that dir,
parent of xserver), budir named doc.  In there, the design doc is all about the
print server, but when I look into your pointer, underneath
xserver/hw/xfree86/doc, yeah, that's about what you said it was.  I'd seen the
xgml tools under that top-level doc directory, and I couldn't get them even
close to working, and been a bit disappointed, but now that I see new stuff,
I'll try again to find & build some sgml formatting tools.

>> that's what the postscript file I saw was about ... nothing whatever about how
>> to parse the config file (or, the other thing I will be on about before I feel I
>> have the entire enchilada, which is the RIGHT way to print crud into the xorg
>> log file in /var/log).
>
> It documents the calls drivers & other loadable Xorg modules can make to get
> data out of the configuration info the server either parsed from xorg.conf
> or autodetected.   For instance the section "Config file ``Option'' entries"
> documents how drivers can call xf86FindOption*() and similar functions to
> get the Option entries from xorg.conf for their driver section.

At this point, I have finally documented every last piece of code I need (even
the log stuff), the only thing I have left to do is to finish building a test
xserver, which is why you see my posts again about my trying to finish building
it.  When I get that done, nothing sits between me and my goal except my
keyboard itself.  I'll get it built if it's the last thing I do, I just wish I
had a better way to cut the build into smaller parts (I don't know the autotools
well enough to shortcut things).