[Q] Xorg + SunRay

Fri Jul 11 12:24:43 PDT 2008

Pat Kane wrote:
> Can Xorg be taught to display on SunRay boxes?

It would need to have a Sun Ray driver module written, but none
has been yet.   There is no reason in theory it couldn't be, its
just not work that has already happened.

> Google found refs to "Xnewt" but I have yet to
> find the source code.

Right, Xnewt is what is shipped in the Sun Ray Server Software
for Linux, and starting in the just released 4.1-beta for Solaris.

It's the X server sources from X.Org with a different DDX layer
backend - a hw/xnewt, similar to the hw/xnest or hw/vfb alternate
DDX layers in the xserver source tree, so the device independent
parts (DIX, MI, extesions, etc.) are shared with Xorg, but things
like the module loader, config file handling, device handling, etc.
in the hw/xfree86 tree are not.

I believe the current release is based on somewhere around X11R6.7
or 6.8, with the new version in beta being based on xserver-1.2.

The source to it is unfortunately closed, and only available to Sun
and Sun's OEMs at this time.

BTW, there's a Sun Ray community list hosted at sun-rays.org that
some of the Sun Ray developers participate in if you want more in
depth questions answered.   (My knowledge of it doesn't go much
deeper than what you see above.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com