cursor handling and updates inside DRM

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Thu Jul 10 16:12:51 PDT 2008

Hi Jakob,

Jakob Bornecrantz escreveu:
> The only thing that should be in the kernel is the:
>  - touch the gfx registers.
> and in some regards
>  - takes care of the cursor limits.
>
> Anything else is the client responsibility. The coordinates that we
> feed the kernel will be relative to the crtc and in pixels of scanout
> buffer. We do not have a 2D/3D acceleration API in the kernel.
> Nor should we have a mouse position calculation API in the
> kernel either.
>
> Cursor is in the kernel because in the new world of kernel
> modesetting you don't map registers to userspace you talk to
> them via the kernel.
>
> I am a bit divided if any of the above have a place in the DRM
> userspace library.

Yeah, but the current design in the kms (i.e. DRM touching the
registers) is not good as well. The pointer is jumping a lot -- much
more than the "old" design -- because with a single device movement it
emits a hundred of events and a lot of context switch is done. Not cool.

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre