Resolution indpendence

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jul 8 14:46:06 PDT 2008

Felix Miata wrote:

> > For me, being able to have two 80-column views side-by-side is a very
> > high priority. Sometimes, being able to have three views is useful
> > (e.g. where you are merging different versions of a file, and want to
> > comparing the merged version against both original versions). In that
> > situation, three "legible" views is better than two "comfortable"
> > views.
>
> If doing that on routine basis, I'd have multiple screens, or something
> really wide, more than 24", in no less than 1920x1200, but more likely
> 2560x1600.

I prefer to be able to switch my focus between windows without having
to continually turn my head like a tennis spectator.

Actually, I prefer to be able to read even one window of text without
having to physically turn my head as my focus moves along each line of
text.

This is why any application which auto-formats text to the width of
the window isn't likely to have its window maximised.

> 80 often isn't wide enough for anything but email, and even then not
> always.

It's wide enough for code which abides by an 80-column formatting
convention. And I don't need to view 3-way diffs of emails.

> For comparing text file versions, I routinely find diff works
> better than my eyes.

I was referring specifically to ediff. It shows multiple versions with
any differences highlighted, and allows you to perform interactive
merging (e.g. replace buffer A's version of a difference with buffer
B's version).