input valuators

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jul 6 22:23:38 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 09:52:09PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I was getting really tired of this, trying to find out what the heck a device
> valuator was, [...]

valuators == device axes.

> If any of you folks just happen to have any similar gems dealing with input
> handling, it would be kinda nice to let me know, cause that's why it's taking me
> so darn long.  The actually doing of all this is relatively trivial to do, I
> have a fully functional thing that outputs to the screen, done a long while
> back, parses usb, automatically grabs and scales the input based on what it
> reads from the device descriptor, everything, I just can't get it to talk X11.

the actual communication between a driver and the X server is relatively
simple, it's basically all the xf86PostXYZEvent functions in xf86XInput.c.

assuming that your device is set up correctly and you're passing valid data
(i.e. data from valuators that have been initialised and the data falls into
the min/max range), the server should do the rest.

Cheers,
  Peter